How many times have we thought 'I wish I hadn't said that' but it's too late. Once it is out there, it can't be retracted. We often don't think before we speak.
My friend went to a new doctor that was on-call and whatever he said was taken both harshly and rudely. Her and her mother thought 'I can't believe he just said that.' Are your words ever taken like that?
''The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.''
We can do both harm or good by what we say. Our words can both condemn or intercede for another. The power of the tongue should not be underestimated.
Our tongue is a voluntary muscle so we can control it, if we want to. James 3:10 says, ''Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.''
Here are 10 truths on taming your tongue......
- And my tongue shall talk of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.
~ Psalms 35:28
- The mouth of the righteous talk of wisdom, And his tongue speaketh justice. ~ Psalms 37:30
- My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the daylong. ~ Psalms 71:24
- The tongue of the wise utters knowledge aright; but the mouths of fools pour out folly.
~ Proverbs 15:2
- A gentle tongue is a tree of life; but perverseness therein is a breaking of the spirit.
~ Proverbs 15:4
- Whoso keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps his soul from troubles. ~ Proverbs 21:23
- By long forbearing is a ruler persuaded, And a soft tongue breaks the bone.
~ Proverbs 25:15
- The north wind brings forth rain: So doth backbiting tongue an angry countenance.
~ Proverbs 25:23
- Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking guile. ~ Psalms 34:13
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue; and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. ~ Proverbs 18:21