Psalm 121:2, "My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
This past week has been the start to a lot of prayers for people I know. These are people who are considered strong and able, but they have been struck with sudden illness. It is an uncertain time with fear of the immediate unknown, but they all trust in God's sovereignty of it all. There's no greater comfort than that.
It gives me pause to think of my own journey and the faithfulness of God. I've worn braces since I was 6, two rods in my back since 14, sleep assisted breathing since 21, full time scooter use since 26, and daytime assisted breathing since about 38 and now I'm approaching 46.
While all of these have aided me along my life's journey, my sustaining grace is God himself. I think of when I was younger and using all the strength I had and thinking how weak I was. Now I pray for just that amount of strength.
God has shown me "My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." I've been on death's door, or so was thought, but God knew it wasn't my time to be called Home yet. I know what it's like to have breath and no breath, but I also know Who gave me breath to life and Who sustains it every minute of my life.
"In affliction, we learn the lesson of the necessity of living by faith and not feeling or perception. God teaches this by the uncertainty of life's changes: hope today, and tomorrow at the point of death; good news today, and bad tomorrow; comfort here, and soul-wounding terror there. O the ebbs and flows of earthly hopes!" -- Thomas Case
Things to remember when faced with the uncertain times of life:
- None of us are untouchable to the woes of life. Trials draw us nearer to God, our Comforter, and He gives strength like no other.
- We are to rely on God as a God of power and strength and a God all- sufficient for us.
- Our confidence must come from God alone..not men or things of this earth. “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him." Jeremiah 17:7
- "We must see all our help laid up in God, in his power and goodness, his providence and grace; and from him we must expect it to come."
- "He that made heaven and earth is sovereign Lord of all the hosts of both, and can make use of them as he pleases for the help of his people, and restrain them when he pleases from hurting his people."
- God is bigger than any and all of our problems. May we turn our burdens and fears over to Him and patiently wait for His answers to our prayers.
We should be thankful in good times and bad times, because it could be worse and God uses all these times for our good. There is ALWAYS someone struggling harder than you, no matter how bad things seem to be for you. Humble yourself always. God has a plan for you, which includes adversity. May it make you and those around you spiritually stronger as well.