Today concludes the 4 part blog series on the 'One Another' verses of the New Testament. We have covered Unity, Humility, Love and if I could put these remaining verses in a category, it would be 'Respect.' We should always maintain respect with one another, whether we agree or disagree. We show respect in both our approach and gentleness of our words.
We should not excuse ourselves in our duty to serve others, but we must also not grow weary in doing good either. It's easy for all of us to get tired, frustrated or feel unappreciated for our efforts. We must remember our motives should be from a Christ-like love, not a man-sought approval.
"How long should we keep praying and reaching out to those we love? Galations 6:10 “As we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”
"We should communicate our knowledge and experiences to one another. We should join in prayer and praise one with another. We should set a good example one before another. And it is the duty of those especially who live in the same vicinity and family thus to comfort and edify one another; and this is the best neighborhood. "
"What do we fear when we will not submit to one another? Is it the loss of control? Loss of power? Do we fail to make peace with an offended brother because we are afraid of losing face? We see that pride keeps rearing its ugly head, causing us to feel that we are about to lose something."
In practical ways, we make God's love a reality to others when we give them our undivided attention, show interest in what they think and do, and share the gospel and life with them in a gentle and respectful way.
The rest of the 'one another' verses...
- Do not judge one another, and don’t put a stumbling block in a brother’s way (Ro 14:13)
- Greet one another with a kiss (Ro 16:16; 1 Co 16:20; 2 Co 13:12)
- Husbands and wives: don’t deprive one another of physical intimacy (1 Co 7:5)
- Bear one another’s burdens (Ga 6:2)
- Speak truth to one another (Ep 4:25)
- Don’t lie to one another (Co 3:9)
- Comfort one another concerning the resurrection (1 Th 4:18)
- Encourage and build up one another (1 Th 5:11)
- Stimulate one another to love and good deeds (He 10:24)
- Pray for one another (Jas 5:16)
- Be hospitable to one another (1 Pe 4:9)