Proverbs 6: 16-19
16 "There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."
Have you ever ignored a warning? A parent often warns their child of things that will hurt or harm them. The child may heed the instruction or it may be ignored with consequences to follow. God's Word is our instruction book for life...a life that is pleasing to Him. It is filled with warnings that alert us to things harmful to our spiritual well-being.
Proverbs 6:16-19 provides for us a list of specific sins that God hates. "God hates sin; he hates every sin; he can never be reconciled to it; he hates nothing but sin. But there are some sins which he does in a special manner hate; and all those here mentioned are such that are injurious to our neighbor. It is an evidence of the good-will God bears to mankind that those sins are in a special manner provoking to him which are harmful to the comfort of human life and society."
The list of things God hates:
- Haughty eyes... Pride is the first on the list because it is at the root to so many other sins. When your own pride is a witness against you, you think too much of yourself and belittle others around you. 'Prides cometh before the fall.'
- Lying tongue..."God and all good men hate and abhor lying." God hates anything but the sacred truth. Falsehood is a ploy by the devil to deceive many.
- Hands that shed innocent blood... People who are cruel and have no regard for life are doing work for the devil. Abortion of the pre-born or murder of anyone is in conflict with the purpose God created that soul for.
- A heart that devises wicked schemes... "The more there is of craft and management in sin the more it is an abomination to God." Wisdom to do evil is the devil's control over one's mind.
- Feet that are quick to rush into evil... When sinners are impatient and greedy in their pursuit of their desired sin. There is a no-wait mindset in their aim towards destruction.
- A False witness that pours out lies... This is the 2nd reference to lying in this list, so God doubly hates it. Dishonesty damages our relationships with each other and it's like a snowball to hell.
- A person who stirs up conflict in the community... God desires unity, not discord. Anyone who promotes jealousy and aggravation is a disruption to God's work and plan.
God's warnings are meant to preserve and protect our lives. Will we listen or turn a deaf ear and suffer the consequences? I pray for a humble, honest, merciful heart with a mindset for godly things and endeavors that promote unity.